Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Disciples of Love (Jesus)

My reading this morning was in John 13. It is the last dinner Jesus had with his disciples before He was betrayed and handed over to be crucified.  In the beginning of the chapter Jesus washes his disciples feet, then later in verse 14 (Amplified version) Jesus states, "If I then, your Lord and Teacher (Master), have washed your feet, you ought [it is your duty, you are under obligation, you owe it] to wash one another's feet. (v.15) For I have given you this as an example, so that you should do [in your turn] what I have done to you." ... And in v. 17 he continues, saying, "If you know these things, blessed and happy and to be envied are you if you practice them [if you act accordingly and really do them]. 

I pointed this passage out first because, I believe that this is part of his later command in verses 34-35, "I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another. By this shall all [men] know that you are My disciples, if you love one another [if you keep on showing love among yourselves].

Joyce Meyer states in the "Putting the Word to Work" section of my Everyday Life Bible:

"Have you ever wondered what the best way to tell someone about Jesus is? The answer is, 'Love them'. Live out the selfless, sacrificial love that you have received from Jesus. Extend that love to those who have not trusted Him as Lord and Savior, and your actions will speak loudly about who Jesus is and what He is all about".
I have been reading this book called Israel and the Church, and I was really hit by a part in the book where it observed that often when we read the scripture and ask "What do you think about this" or "what do you think this means", but in the Judaism, the question was "How do we live this?".  It also states that being a disciple of Christ is not just about learning about Him, but being a disciple is living like Him.

I challenge you today to begin to ask yourself, "How can I live this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment