Monday, February 7, 2011

Loving God and Loving Others

1 Peter 1:22 (New International Version)

Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.

Joyce Meyer "Lifepoint" from the Everyday Life Bible 
The Holy Spirit, according to I Peter 1:22 is the One who purifies our hearts so we can allow the sincere love of God to flow through us to others. The Holy Spirit's aim is to get us to the place where the sincere love of God flows through us, which helps us to "ever be filled with the Holy Spirit (see Ephesians 5:18).

Walking in the Love of God is the ultimate goal of Christianity, and should be the primary pursuit of our lives. We should keep our love for Jesus red-hot! We should also have a fervet love for one another (I Peter 4:8-Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins). Jesus Himself instructed us to love one another as He loves us (John 15:12-My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.).  He said that was the new commandment He came to pronounce and that all other commandments are summed up in the exhortation to love God and to love other people (John 13:34-“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another., Matthew 22:37-40 -Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”)

When I think of what I can do for myself or how I can get others to bless me, I am filled with me.  When I think of other people and how I can bless them, I find myself filled with the Holy Spirit, Who is the Spirit of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment